Novato HS off to a Hot Start

Miles Elkins, Co-Editor

The Novato High School football team is off to a hot start, winning four of their first six games of the season. The Hornets winning record includes a win against Drake High School, marking their first MCAL win since the current seniors were freshman.

Senior starting wide receiver Myles Gibson commented on the Hornets success.

“It feels great to actually be winning this year,” said Gibson. “Everyone on the team is committed to putting in hard work, whether it’s in school or on the field.”

The Hornet’s four wins has already surpassed the win total combined in the last three years. A couple years after landing on ESPN for not having enough players to field a football team, Novato has transformed its program this year.

Dom Gelardi, senior starting middle linebacker, also discussed the keys to this year’s success.

“It helps having a whole staff, not just coaching staff but the principal, athletic director, and everyone else that actually cares about football,” said Gelardi. “Players are more committed and want to win just as bad as everyone else.”

A huge reason for this newfound success this year is the addition of first-year head coach Rich Torres, who has instilled a new culture among the players. Torres hosted numerous pre-season workouts to prepare the team over the summer. The athleticism and focus has evidently improved, as the Hornets are no longer a pushover in MCAL play.

Jason Searle, a Social Studies teacher at NHS and former varsity head coach, was also brought back to be the offensive coordinator. The offense has been putting up points, as quarterback Kevin Hall has improved a lot since his junior year and has a lot of weapons to throw to, including Myles Gibson, Dylan Martin, and Dylan Burness.

Two standouts so far have been linebacker Hunter Gray and running back Jonaven Hill. Gray is fast and powerful, getting to the quarterback or running back, and Hill has been hard to stop in the run game.

While almost folding the program a couple years ago, Novato football’s success appears to be sustainable.”

Novato, now 4 and 2 with four games to play, will look to continue their quest for the playoffs in a tough matchup against Redwood tomorrow afternoon. Kick off is set for 2 p.m. at Novato High.